Austrian museum, in the Palais Lobkowitz, founded in 1991 in Vienna, housing the collection of theatre figures formerly from the Austrian National Library (Österreichischen Nationalbibliothek). Glove puppets, marionettes and shadow puppets are part of the collection.
The large collection of string puppets bequeathed to the museum by Heinrich Rudolf Ruprecht (1896-1960) is one of the highlights of a visit to the Museum. Ruprecht had built up his puppet foundation by collecting many very old marionettes like those made by Florian Blahonek and Karl Fränkl, vestiges of traditional Viennese string puppets.
The Kasperl theatre of the 1950s is represented in the collection thanks to the glove puppets, with their characteristic heads made of papier-mâché, designed and made by the Viennese Leopold Hiesinger. The Museum also has some wayang kulit (leather shadow puppets from Java). One entire hall is dedicated to the Figurenspiegel (Figure Mirror), created by Richard Teschner (1879-1948). Performances at the museum are held on certain fixed days.